The WWW Wednesday meme is hosted by Sam @ Taking on a World of Words and is a great way to do a weekly update on what you’ve been reading and what you have planned.
To take part all you have to do is answer the following three questions:
- What are you currently reading?
- What did you recently finish reading?
- What do you think you’ll read next?
I started The Possession by Michael Rutger on Monday and considering it’s a hardback (and therefore not the easiest to cart around with me) I’ve been making really good progress. It’s been ages since I’ve read a big hardback and I’d kind of forgotten how awkward it is to juggle them with cups of tea, meals and snacks 🙂 I am however getting the hang of it which is great as I don’t want to have to put it down. It’s just so wonderfully creepy and it’s been far too long since I’ve read a good horror story.
While I did attempt to take it to work with me yesterday I didn’t end up reading any of it so I’ve decided to read The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo on my commute and keep The Possession safe at home. I got this one from Libby so I’m reading it on my phone. I don’t generally read poetry as I always feel like I’m missing the meaning but so far I seem to be getting on ok with this. I’m only 20% in so it’s early days but yeah… I think I’ll probably carry on. I do wonder though if it would work better as an audio as I don’t think I’m getting the rhythm.
My reading is still a little on the slow side this week, I think I’ve lost my reading mojo again, but I have managed to finish three books.
- The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee – This was a really fun read but I’m not sure it completely lived up to expectations. I do have a suspicion that my expectations were ridiculously high though as I loved The Gentleman’s Guide. I did love the feminist messages and friendship running throughout and the writing is great. I just felt the story wandered a little.
- Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi – Unfortunately this was a bit of a disappointment. It wasn’t bad, it just didn’t wow me the way I hoped it would. I don’t know if it’s the writing or the translation (I suspect the writing) but while there was a great premise it really lacked emotion for me and I’m not sure I liked any of the characters.
- Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost – My reread (or listen to be more accurate) continued with the fourth book in the Night Huntress series and one of my faves. I seem to remember the series goes downhill after this one so I think I may stop for a while and choose something completely different for my next audio.
Reading Next / Recent TBR Additions
It’s pretty safe to say I’ve wandered off my Summer TBR in the last week and as I’ve been book shopping I suspect this may continue. I’ve heard a lot of great things about Call Me Star Girl and The Girl Who Could Move Sh*t with Her Mind so I couldn’t resist them. I also discovered that my current read The Possession was the second book in a series so decided to pick up book one The Anomaly. I’m in a bit of an odd reading mood at the moment (I think life is stressing me out) so I just want something action packed that I can relax into without having to think too much.
Have you read any of the books on my list this week? Any others you’d recommend? As always please feel free to leave comments and links below.
Happy Reading ❤